An online virtual meeting of the Synod Council of the Diocese of Ontario was held on Tuesday November 24, 2020. Highlights of the meeting include:
- Council heard and discussed updates that are underway to our “Loving Our Neighbours” Amber Stage Guidelines in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The bishop advised Council that he has received and granted a request from the congregation of St. James, Parham to disestablish as a congregation. The parish was tragically destroyed by fire earlier this year and a memorial to the people and ministry of St. James will be erected. A detailed history has been assembled by parishioner Lois Webster.
- Council approved the following for 2021:
- Clergy Stipend Grid
- Clergy Housing Allowance
- Vehicle Travel Re-imbursement Rates for Parish Incumbents
- Clergy Supply and Interim Rates
- Diocesan Staff Salary Grid
- Diocesan Budget
- All of these items were discussed on the November 19 Financial Update and 2021 Guidance for churches diocesan online call. The presentation and the recording can be found on the diocesan website. The diocesan executive officer will issue the detailed financial planning guidance next week.
- Synod Council was updated that the diocese has been given guidance by AON that property and liability Insurance rates will rise significantly in 2021. This information was also covered on the November 19 online meeting.
- Updates to Council were also received from Synod Planning, Stewardship and DOORS.
The next regularly scheduled meeting of Synod Council will be Tuesday January 26 at 6pm. This meeting will be online only.
The approval of the minutes of the November 24 meeting are pending. For questions about Synod Council, please contact Alex Pierson, Diocesan Executive Officer, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (613) 544-4718.